Friday, February 19, 2016

Draft Finished

UPDATE


I've finished the draft of the next story I'm going to post, and I'm currently working on revising it so that it actually makes sense. Optimistically I think I can do most of the work over the weekend and have it up by February 25, but I also have a pessimistic plan where I don't get it out until March 17. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I really like how it turned out. It's not quite so much about social orders and getting into conflicts with "the man" as the last one, but it has a lot more action and drama. It's noticeably shorter than Durist, but it's still pushing the limit of what can be called a short story versus something like a novelette. 

There are still a couple things left to do. I need to rewrite the beginning (about 650 words), because the timeline and distances between events don't line up with it. Then there's the general smoothing process of maintaining a consistent narrator voice and getting rid of awkward (or just plain wrong) wording. All together I'm estimating it'll take about 6-10 hours worth of work to get it ready to post.

I already have plans for two more stories after this one. I actually really want to just push this sucker out so that I can start working on those, because I think they will be awesome. Plenty of motivation to stick to my optimistic timeline!

1 comment: